Friday 8 March 2013

hidden deck fasteners



A low-cost alternative to hidden deck fasteners

After reading your story on deck fasteners and fastening systems (FHB #178, pp. 78-82), I had to chuckle. When I built my own deck, I wanted to conceal the fasteners for aesthetic reasons as well as for function (not catching something on a protruding fastener) and durability (not creating an entry point for moisture to penetrate the decking).
I looked at all the edgemount and bottom-mount systems, and was turned off by their tediousness and taken aback by their price. Instead of investing in one of these proprietary systems, I used GRK R4 Multi Purpose Screws (www.grkfasteners.com) to affix each deck board to its joist from below. As shown in the drawing, I used two 8x2-1/2-in. screws per board at each joist. Working from below, I started the screws about 11/2 in. from the top edge of the joist and angled them at about 30°. That put about 3/4 in. of each screw into the 5/4 deck boards. The sharp “zip-tip” points of the screws eliminated the need to drill pilot holes.
It has been a couple of years since I installed the decking, and it looks great. The decking is solid as a rock without a single squeak, and I saved about $1,500 on mounting gizmos.



Steve Carle, Edina, MN 

 

3 comments:

  1. I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already use this type of joists and screw it's great, but I don't know if it works in case of heavy weight on it. Once I use this method for a shelf of a library and just few years later it breaks, maybe I'v made a mistake by fixing it also with an old screw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the same thing with wooden 2X2s attached to the joists and then screwed from underneath into the floorboards.
    http://www.deckconstructionpa.com/photo-gallery

    ReplyDelete